If your rental home, apartment, or office building is not inspected or cleaned regularly, you may be at risk for toxic mold exposure. Mold grows in moist areas with warm temperatures and may show up in air vents, bathrooms, or other areas. Certain molds can have extreme adverse effects on a person’s health, especially when it is present continuously or in large amounts.
Adverse effects vary depending on each person’s individual reactions to the toxic mold. Some people may have strong allergies to one particular type of mold, while others may not show symptoms of sickness until after they have been exposed over a long period of time. Symptoms of toxic mold exposure may include:
- Persistent coughing
- Itchy, watery, painful, or otherwise irritated eyes
- Chronic tiredness
- Rashes on the skin
- Neurological disorders, especially in children
If you are suffering from these symptoms or other extreme or elevated allergies, mold in your home or work environment may be to blame. Although people with mold allergies often suffer from these symptoms more severely than other people, even those without mold allergies or other health problems may have an adverse reaction to toxic molds. If you believe that your home or workplace is making you sick because of toxic mold, contact your supervisor, landlord, or a mold removal specialist to learn what steps to take for a safe removal of the mold.
Your landlord or building manager holds some responsibility in making sure that your home or workplace is safe to inhabit. If you have become seriously ill due to toxic mold exposure, contact the Iowa personal injury lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. today at 877-327-2600.