C.R. Bard Inc. has agreed to pay $184 million to settle lawsuits filed against its subsidiary, Davol Inc., over the company’s hernia repair products.
More than 2,700 product liability lawsuits were filed last year over Davol Inc.’s Composix Kugel hernia patches, the majority of those cases were transferred to the U.S. District Court for Rhode Island. The lawsuits were filed by patients who were injured by the mesh patch’s defective recoil ring.
In many cases, the recoil ring used to secure the mesh patch to tissue perforations separated and moved throughout the abdomen, damaging internal organs. Other lawsuits were filed by patients who reported sever pain or other complications following surgery. The lawsuits claim that C.R. Bard failed to adequately warn patients of the risks associated with their product.
Bard announced this week that an unnamed insurance carrier agreed to cover the $184 million settlement. In exchange for the coverage, Bard agreed to quit seeking payment of money it claimed the insurance company owed.
If you have been injured by a defective product, please contact the Iowa product liability lawyer of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., by calling 877-327-2600.
Lawyers made opening statements Wednesday in a wrongful death and product liability lawsuit filed in Massachusetts against Philip Morris Inc. by the family of a man who died of lung cancer in 2000, after smoking Marlboro cigarettes for years.
According to court documents, the lawsuit alleges that when Stephen C. Haglund began smoking cigarettes in the 1970s, Philip Morris could have provided a safer alternative to Marlboros by employing technology that extracted addictive nicotine from tobacco. The lawsuit was filed in 2001 by Haglund’s wife, Brenda L. Haglund, and two of their children, Stephen M. Haglund and Melissa J. Robledo.
Lawyers for Philip Morris denied that the “alternative design” of lower nicotine cigarettes would have prevented Haglund’s death. Council for Philip Morris, Paul F. Ware, said the “solvent extraction” technology could not remove all the nicotine from cigarettes and, more importantly, would not remove any of the carcinogens.
If you need assistance with a product liability lawsuit, please contact the Iowa product liability lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., by calling 877-327-2600.
Over 7 million “tea light” candles have been recalled due to a burn hazard, the government said Wednesday.
According to a Pacific Trade International press release, the candles have a clear plastic cup that can melt and possible ignite, increasing the risk of a fire or burn. Pacific Trade has received one report of a melting cup while the candle was in use. No damage or injury was reported.
The recall includes “tea light” candles sold under the Modern Light and Chesapeake Bay Candle brand names. The candles come in various colors and in sets with tea light containers.
According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, the affected candles were sold nationwide at Fred Meyer, Super Value, Target, Home Goods, Wegmans, and TJ Maxx stores between July 2009 and February 2011.
If you need assistance with a product liability lawsuit, please contact the Iowa Personal Injury Attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., at 877-327-2600.
Volkswagen of America Inc. announced Monday it is recalling certain 2011 Jetta models to fix an electrical defect.
According to a Volkswagen press release, the company will fix a potential problem with the wiring of the vehicles’ horns and anti-theft systems. The recall affects 71,043 Jettas built between March 2010 and March of 2011.
Volkswagen says the problem stems from a fuse that protects the Jetta’s anti-theft alarm and the converter box that operates the windshield wipers and headlights. A short circuit in the vehicle’s horn can cause the lights and wipers to stop working, which could increase the risk of a car accident. Volkswagen dealer service technicians will reconfigure the wiring layout so the converter box and horn do not share the same fuse.
The automaker has not received any reports of injuries or accidents caused by the wiring problem, according to the press release.
Owners of the defective vehicles will be notified by the company via first class mail with information on the anticipated repair timeline and corrective measures.
If you have been injured by a defective product, please contact an Iowa product liability lawyer of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., by calling 877-327-2600.
Consumers should immediately stop using IKEA SNIGLAR brand cribs, the U.S. and Canadian governments said Thursday.
In a joint statement released by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, the company has issued a recall of more than 26,000 cribs in North America. The four bolts provided to secure the mattress support are not long enough and may collapse.
Although no incidents have been reported, the statement urges parents to check the underside of their cribs immediately to see if the mattress support bolts extend through the nut. If not, consumers should contact IKEA for a free repair kit. Defective cribs can also be exchanged for new ones at IKEA stores.
About 20,000 cribs were sold in the U.S. and more than 6,000 in Canada. The cribs were sold from October 2005 through June 2010 at stores throughout North America.
If someone you love has been injured by a defective product, please contact an Iowa Product Liability Lawyer of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., by calling 877-327-2600.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission issued its annual warning of the danger of fireworks. They recommend going to watch a display put on by professionals rather than trying them yourself.
WQAD reports the CPSC estimates that, “in 2009, two people died and nearly nine-thousand had to visit an emergency room after being injured by fireworks. Most of those injuries happened to people under the age of 20 with many accidents resulting in the permanent loss of a limb.”
The Iowa product liability lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., advise you to stay safe this Fourth of July. Do an internet search for your local fireworks display and leave the work to the professionals while you sit back and enjoy.