Protect Yourself from Hospital Negligence
Preventable medical errors claim the lives of almost 300,000 people every year. Sadly, hospitals themselves can be the cause of additional illnesses and injuries that cause patients to suffer. Hospital patients may find themselves suffering from injuries, infections, and wounds that can, in serious cases, be a patient’s actual cause of death. Fortunately, families and friends can take proactive measures to help their loved ones in the hospital stay free from harm and get the proper care and treatment they need.
Examples of Hospital Injuries
Sadly, hospitals are often so crowded with sick and injured patients that it is difficult for your loved one to get the full support and attention he or she needs for a particular medical condition. In addition, this hectic environment makes it easy for medical staff to make preventable errors and careless mistakes, which can result in serious illnesses and injuries such as:
- Infections, including staff infections, urinary tract infections, antibiotic-resistant infections, and intestinal complications
- Bone fractures and breaks caused by falls or other accidents within the hospital
- Pressure wounds and bed sores caused by neglectful conditions and improper sanitation
- Medication errors, such as giving the incorrect prescription or not noticing drug allergies
- Surgical errors, including errors due to careless record-keeping and documentation
To help prevent some of these injuries, the families and friends of patients can help learn about particular medications the patient is prescribed, can help the patient take care of basic hygiene, and can keep the hospital room clean and sanitary. In addition, they can make sure that patients fully understand all instructions they are given and the risks behind any procedures that are recommended.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to the careless or negligent care of hospital staff, contact the Iowa medical malpractice attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. today by calling 877-327-2600.