Lead Based Paint

Old homes have a lovely, quaint charm that is simply not there in homes built past 1960. This is why home from the 40s and 50s that still exist are a hot commodity in the real estate market. But while these homes may be great to live in and show off, many have a potentially deadly component that comes from their period of construction. This component is lead based paint.

Paint made with lead was very popular before the serious effects of even very minimal lead ingestion were found. It was not until the later half of the twentieth century that researches discovered that lead poisoning can lead to severe illness and deformity.

Why is Lead Dangerous?

Increased levels of lead in the body can be very toxic to many organs in the body and tissues including the heart, bones, intestines, kidneys, and reproductive and nervous systems. Lead ingestion can lead to serious deformity in children. Lead interferes with the development of the nervous system and lead poisoning in children can lead to permanent behavior and learning disorders. Birth defects and deformity can result in the fetuses of pregnant women who get lead poisoning.

The danger of lead based paint is that the particles can float around. Even when the paint is stripped and removed, traces of lead can still be found in the dirt surrounding the home for decades after removal.

Contact Us

At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we care about the safety of you and your loved ones. In the event of poisoning from lead based paint, victims may be eligible for compensation from the responsible party. Contact the Iowa personal injury lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at 877-327-2600 to schedule a free initial consultation.

The Search Engine Guys